Some Quotes and Notes in praise of Retirement
Mark Twain said, "the trouble with youth is that it is wasted on the
Perhaps retirement is wasted on the old. " 'Tis such a glorious freedom."
- You can't get fired - your pension comes anyway.
- You can become grumpy if you want. No-one can tell you what to do
- You can say or do anything you want(as long as it's legal)
- You are busier than when you were working, but doing what you want instead of what you must.
- You find you spend less, so your pension goes farther
- You can stay up all night then either sleep in or have a nap after
- If it is raining or storming, or just cold, you don't have to bother going out.
Now, don't confuse retirement with getting old -- you are going to get old whether you retire or not.
Getting old may cause creeking bones etc. but even that's not so bad when you consider the alternative.
The trick to enjoying retirement is exercise - - MENTAL as well as physical.
Do something- anything!
Think something new -- anything!
Get out -- anywhere!
Meet someone new --anyone!
You now have time to ponder -- use it !
"Leave the beaten track occasionally and dive into the woods. Every time you do so you will be certain
to find something that you have never seen before." -
Alexander Graham Bell
Jonathan Swift said,
"May you live all the days of your life."
THE OLD PERSON'S PRAYER
Lord, release me from the craving to straighten out everybody's affairs
Make me thoughtful but not moody, helpful but not bossy,
With my vast store of accumulated wisdom it seems a pity not to use it all,
but Thou knowest Lord that I want a few friends at the end.
Keep me reasonably sweet, I do not want to be a saint ( some of them are so hard to live with)
But a sour old person is one of the crowning works of the devil.
Give me the ability to see good things in unexpected places,
and talents in unexpected people;
And give me, O Lord, the Grace to tell them so.
BACK TO THE MAIN PAGE